On Monday 14 November 2005 16:58, Curtis L. Olson wrote:

> We can suggest different default locations of $FG_ROOT for different
> systems, but below $FG_ROOT we should use the same structure for all
> platforms.
>
> Curt.

Then we should definitely officially use /usr/local/games/flightgear/
or /opt/flightgear/ as $FG_ROOT on unix systems.
The ones who want have it the other way can change it on their own with the
--prefix= command line option, but officially it should be clear for things
like a binary installer or tools that want have access to the data in
flightgear without the need of asking the user all the time where the
flightgear data is.
To make use of /usr/local/games/flightgear/ or /opt/flightgear/ by default we
should change the configure script accordingly.

Best Regards,
  Oliver C.