Am Sonntag, den 15.01.2006, 11:59 +0100 schrieb Christian Mayer:

> Paul Surgeon schrieb:
> > On Sunday 15 January 2006 12:08, Christian Mayer wrote:
> >> (*) unless you want to get fancy with blending the textures, etc. pp.
> >> But this will create an big overhead.
> >
> > Well yes but a half decent scenery engine using texture blending like the
> > one
> > in X-Plane and MSFS would do just fine and they actually run faster than FG
> > when I increase the visibility to about 50km or greater.
> >
> > We must be doing something wrong to get the worst of both worlds.
>
> Have you compared the frame rates when everything apart from the ground
> is disabled (no other planes and no objects on the ground)?
>
> Is the resolution the same (IIRC FGFS has a resolution of 30 or 40 meters)?

No, MSFS 2004 ships by default with a mesh resolution that is a lot
lower (i assume 1 km) than the one in FGFS.
MSFS 2004 doesn't use SRTM terrain data, but it is possible to get and
install it as an addon.

> Does X-Plane or MSFS use a CLOD algorithm or are they tile based (do
> those tiles have LOD or not)?

What i can say is, that MSFS does use a regular mesh with some kind of
LOD algorithm in FS2004 (and probably in earlier versions too).
When you look carefully at the running sim this is clearly noticeable.

I can't talk for X-Plane.
But when i look at the demo version from X-Plane 8.20, it doesn't look
like, that X-Plane is using LOD.
So i assume that X-Plane does not use LOD.

Best Regards,
 Oliver C.