> Until you hear those texture where created by someone from Europe.

Hmm, not really. Actually the city textures, like builtup.rgb and
resgrid.rgb, are probably taken from satellite images of some US
resident area. At least it looks like this :-)

As far as I see it, the manual alteration of the city textures should be
kept as an option.
By default the use of the regional textures makes more sence, since
modifying every town would be just too time consuming.
Using the poligons as a virtual marker for the regions sounds good.
This way the regions can be defined much better as based on coordinates.
The question is, how difficult it would be to detect in which region you
are then.

Ultimately, the according textures might be packaged with the
scenery-tiles. This way, if we would have many MBs of
regional textures, you only would have to download the textures you need.
Well - just an idea, don't know if that would be technically possible.

So to sum it up - we already have people with textures and willing to
create new ones and populate 'the world' with them.
But so far we lack the ability to use them, since the landcovertypes are
not used by terragear at the moment, the PostGIS-DB isn't used by
terragear for scenery-generation yet and the regions aren't defined yet.

Or am I mistaken?

Mark