"David Megginson" wrote:

> The problem might be that TerraGear is now cropping against just the
> landmass -- it actually has to crop against the union of the landmass,
> islands, lakes, and everything else.

I'm pretty sure this is the correct explanation - even without looking
at the code  :-)
The "landmass" dataset that was used with TGVPF and that I simply
copied for use with the DB is actually called "polbnda" in VMAP0 -
"political boundaries area". As the Great Lakes don't fall into a
single political area they simply don't get covered by _any_ area type
object and so they get defined as ocean in Terragear.

This should not only affect the Great Lakes, I wouldn't be surprised if
the same effect occurs with the Victoria Lake in southern Africa, with
the Black Sea south-east of Europe any maybe the Titicaca Lake in South
America (not sure about that one).

As the Greate Lakes apparently _are_ defined in the VMAP0 lake layer,
at least they are being displayed as such in the Mapserver, I currently
don't see why they should not be trated as lakes - even if they lie
outside of any political boundary.

Cheers,
        Martin.