Erik Hofman schrieb:
Rob Oates wrote:

I'll eventually release different textures for other regions...but it will take time. But it's something I really want to do :)

Nice, People wanted the crop circles and a low number of textures and now I'm being criticized by doing it that way. I deliberately added the possibility to define more than one texture for every land use but used it sparsely for the sake of texture memory consumption.

:-\

Erik

Hi Erik,

did you create the "old" textures??? I did not know it :-)
Anyway, the "texture discussion" shows that it is a matter of personal taste and experience AND regional differences what you may find good or not.

I am flying around Northern Germany in real life several hundreds hours a year since nearly 20 years and a lot of the time I am just looking out of the window as I am only the trim-weight back in the cabin. Since digital cameras are available I made a lot of photographs of the region, flying from some 100 feet up to 2000. So I think I really know how it looks like in real life, every season of the year, from morning to sunset and even in the darkness. This is why I prefer the older textures (only making the "18th_century_city.rgb" to "town.rgb") for my region (have a look at the Northsea islands :-(, now glowing in strange colours if you use the new textures, just an obvious example for everyone) but I understand that people of the Rhine area do like the new textures much better - I have not the real-life experience of that region.

This long speech is to give the reasons for having some changes in texture management in the future. We need not only more and different textures but the possibility for local use of different textures without changing the basic textures - when I am flying my country, cow and mud scenery around Bremen I (fictionally) have created some special textures for they should not show up when teleporting to KSFO.

I think what was right some years ago (only some textures, low resolution) is not up to date with 200 GB HD and 256 MB graphic cards as a standard nowadays.

Regards
Georg EDDW