Hi Rob!

First of all let me thank you for your contribution.
I've been experimenting with textures in FGFS myself for a while and I
know how hard it is to get to such quality textures.
So keep up the good work ;-)

When I had a first look at the textures I initially liked them better
than the default textures.

After that I also shared the opinon of Melchior and Georg about the images.
I specially modified them with increased contrast and other adapitions
which actually made them look worse.
That means more like in MS-FS 2002, which looks unnatural to me.

So being unsatisfied with that, I reverted to the default-set.
It's true that the default textures are sharper and have more contrast,
but I feel your textures do look and mix better after all.

But of course they're not perfect yet. For example the crop textures
don't actually show crop and look more like grassland / prairie.
It could look a bit more like this for southern Germany:

http://www.akermann.org/fgfs/mixedcrop.jpg

[The picture is of a unknown source, so it may not be distributed.]

The city textures are OK and do suit my local surroundings better than
the original ones, which look kinda american.
I like the town texture from the default set better, since it isn't as
dense as yours and has more vegetation.
However, since it's not available in hires, yours does look better in
the simulation.
Shrub, sand and tundra textures are definately an improvement while I
still would like to see better ones for forests and deciduous areas.
So much to my comments..

Since I've also been playing with textures, I thought I might also
contribute the better ones I created.
I did use textures from various sources and so it's not possible to
share all of them for copyright reasons.
A source I found very useful is NASA's Website:
http://visibleearth.nasa.gov/ .

You can find a texture-pack containing my snow, galcier and packice
images here:
http://www.akermann.org/fgfs/fg_phototex_ma.tgz

I would be happy to see them included in your set ;-)

Another issue I was thinking about is Copyright. As far as I could see,
you are not distributing your textures with any copyright notice.
This is ok for sharing it in the community, but actually you should name
the original source and terms of use in a file somewhere, even if they
are in the public domain.
And if the textures are used as official set, this will be a MUST.
I have provided a file for my files and you could just add your lines to
it (I actually already added your name in the header).

Mark