Hi Melchior,

Melchior FRANZ wrote:

> Hey, I said "consider"! ... OK ... then, hmm ... I've started to make
> a font from the pictures in that *.pdf, and it will be easy to create
> all the signs from that. Then we'll see how to continue. (If somebody
> objects to the old OBJECT_{TAXI,RUN}WAY_SIGN feature being resurrected,
> please tell us now. Someone 'constructive' maybe?)

  :-))

Almost every engineer facing a problem starts with creating a plan -
this is what we are being taught when real life hits us after leaving
university  ;-)
What are the implications of the OBJECT_{TAXI,RUN}WAY_SIGN feature ?
If you/we walk this path this would imply creating gazillions of
scenery objects for all medium to large airports in the world. The guy
who will be given credit to these objects in the Scenery Objects DB
will reach a score that will never get topped as long as our short life
lasts  :-)

This is the funny side of this feature. On the other hand we'll always
have to keep those signs in the Scenery Objects DB in sync with the
version of the airports database that Curt uses for creating the
'official' scenery. This would mean we'd have to re-create all these
signs before Curt pulls the Objects DB export for a new scenery
release. We _could_ do that, assign an object type for these signs and
drop all signs before re-creating. _But_ in order to get this done we
need a logic that automagically creates the placement of these signs
from the airport layout - and here lies the problem: We currently don't
have a logical layout to our airports that allows extracting the
required information for placement of the signs.
Even if someone enables TerraGear to create these signs on the fly
during scenery generation (which I favour over keeping the signs in the
Objects DB) we still face the problem that we lack the logical airport
layout.

How are the chances that we will have access to such airport layout in
the future ? If the chances are good, then I'd suggest to go ahead and
evolve your idea.

Cheers,
        Martin.