"Curtis L. Olson" wrote:
> Martin Spott wrote:
>> - More important, who of the OpenSource developers likes to maintain
>>   a closed source module, compile it at least for half a dozend
>>   different platforms and play the lonesome cowboy to whom bug
>>   reports will be adressed - without having any chance to share the
>>   load with someone else ?
>>
> Hmmm, this is dependent on the answer to your first point.  Does the
> vatsim app have to be closed source, or is the vatsim app that
> we/someone creates simply an app that has to link to a non-gpl,
> proprietary library?

To my understanding the library is closed source and you can attach
anything you like to it - just let us assume the best scenario we can
get. Still somebody who signed the NDA has to port the library to and
debug on different platform/compiler-setups - most of which he won't
have access to! This definitely will be a tough ride in the world of
portable OpenSource flight simulation  ;-))

> Well I think it's clear that the vatsim folks are more than happy to
> work with us if we are willing to meet them on their terms.  If we
> develop a friendly cooperative relationship with them instead of an
> adversarial relationship, and if we follow their procedures and
> guidelines, why would there be a risk of being sued?

Who kows ? These guys expect you to sign an NDA just to use an
interface library at no cost. As long as this situation stands I
personally would be pretty sceptical because I fear they have something
to hide or I have to fear that they might react in a senseless way.
Well, I don't _have_ to use this library  :-)

Have a nice day,
        Martin.