Major A wrote:

>> I see another issue here.  Even if the licensing issue is solved, there
>> would
>> still be problems.  For example, planes hovering/submerging on taxiways and
>> runways, because both us and MSFS have different scenery.  To avoid this
>> problem, we would have to force MSFS to use our better scenery.  Who's up
>> for
>> that task?
>
> That's a current problem between MSFS and X-Plane as well, and I'm
> told that it's a shortcoming of the VATSIM protocol, which doesn't
> define the reference point to be used.

Hmm, do M$F$ and X-Plane use different ellipsoids for their scenery ?
To my understanding as long as both use an international acknowledged
reference system like WGS84, then there should not be the requirement
for a reference point.
Everything in FlightGear that relates to landcover schema is WGS84 and
I assume the SRTM elevation data is as well - did I miss something ?

Cheers,
        Martin.