Martin Spott wrote:

>Hmm, do M$F$ and X-Plane use different ellipsoids for their scenery ?
>To my understanding as long as both use an international acknowledged
>reference system like WGS84, then there should not be the requirement
>for a reference point.
>Everything in FlightGear that relates to landcover schema is WGS84 and
>I assume the SRTM elevation data is as well - did I miss something ?

The issue is that the specific elevation of a specific point on the
earth can be different between sims.  Consider Sim "A" that flattens
airports to they are a single consistant elevation across the entire
airport surface.  Now contrast that with Sim "B" that lets airport
surfaces generally follow the lay of the land so that the runways have
realistic humps and depressions as you look down their length.

Now, when an aircraft is at ground level in Sim "A", it won't be exactly
at ground level in Sim "B".  Sim "C" might have a different idea of the
exact ground level across the surface of an airport.

Now if all of these simulators participate in a multiplayer environment,
aircraft taxiing along the ground in one sim, will probably always be
too high or two low in the other two sims.

One resolution is to force all simulators to use the exact same scenery
model.  Another possible solution would be to transmit height above
ground.  But this could be very computationally intensive to resolve
into an actual altitude for the clients and some sims may not have that
capability.  Also, what happens if the reference point on the 747 in Sim
"A" is a different place that the 747 in Sim "B"?

The main problem here is when aircraft from other simulators taxi around
airports.  Unfortunately, this is one of the most interesting things to
look at.  FG could perhaps come up with a heuristic for deciding when an
aircraft has WOW and force it to ground level.  Again, that could begin
to cost us computationally if there are many aircraft to adjust, but
it's something we could do if we wanted to.

Curt.