On Wed, 2006-06-14 at 19:34 -0500, Jon S. Berndt wrote:
> >  All this to say that it looks very good.
> >
> >  Now for a few questions :
> > - Are both half wings treated separately in JSBSim ? That can be
> > important for snap rolls, even though I do them day in day out now
>
> Yes, I know. The aerodynamics of a snap roll are ... interesting. We have
> talked about splitting up various surfaces on and off for years. I think
> David Megginson first suggested that approach. It's definitely a
> possibility. I suppose that ideally the wing would be split up into four or
> five parts on each side. Alpha would be calculated for each section given
> the rotational and translational state of the aircraft.
>
> But, I'm also wondering if there is a way to obtain the same effect with a
> three-dimensional table. Can someone give a detailed describption of a snap
> roll?
>
> Jon

Jon,

I'm not an aeronautical engineer by any stretch of the imagination, but
I am remembering something you said on this forum awhile back about
modelling the effect vs. modelling the structures...

So, what are the effects of one wing stalling? An uneducated guess on my
part would be lift reduced by about 1/2 and AERORP moving towards the
(middle of the) unstalled wing.

A quick read of many of the posts here suggests looking at some function
of yaw rate, pitch rate, aileron deflection and alpha into tables to
move AERORP and reduce lift.

Ron