On Tuesday 20 June 2006 08:19, Vivian Meazza wrote:
> Dave Perry
>
> > I have had  lock-ups on longer X-C flights with the pa24-250
> > recently that could be from a memory leak.  So I used the
> > system monitor to check on VM growth.  The only 2D pannel
> > used in the pa24-250 is the radio stack.  So I tried
> > commenting out various components of the radio stack in the
> > file radio-panel.xml.  If I comment all the radio stack in
> > this file, the memory leak is gone.  I did not try all
> > combinations, but the leak rate seems to get greater the
> > more radios are not commented out.
> >
> > I do not remeber this occurring even on very long X-C
> > flights when I first submitted the pa24-250.
> >
> > System info
> > FC4 Linux updated with yum update last Saturday
> > Plib, SimGear, fgfs source, and base all updated from CVS on
> > Saturday also.
> > AMD Athlon XP 3200+ with 512 MB RAM
> > Nvidia GeForce 7800 GS OC with 256MB GDDR3
>
> Hmm - it's beginning to look as if this problem is
> long-standing. It only seems to involve 2d panels: those ac
> with pure 3d panels are unaffected. Some 3d panels have 2d
> elements - these are also affected.
>
> Linux and Windows both seem to be affected, but Melchior
> cannot reproduce the memory leak on his set-up.
>
> A date when you first noticed this effect would perhaps help
> in tracking it down.
>
> Vivian

Yeah - it could be long-standing.  I hadn't done a long flight,
long enough to use all my VM for a long time, but I do remember
occasions of FG bogging down like this from quite a while back.
Can't be sure of how long ago though:(

I always have the 'mini' panel open but I don't include radio
instruments on them so I don't think it is _just_ due to the
radio instruments.  I'll try a completely blank panel to see if
the problem is due to the instruments or the panel itself.

LeeE