Quoting Mathias Fröhlich:

> Hi,
>
> I had worked now for some time on an OSG port of flightgear.
> I would like to check that into our cvs.
> The usual way would be to create a cvs branch and do that work on that
> branch.
> In this case it would be good if we could avoid changes in the HEAD branch
> that touches anything visible.
> In some private mails with Curt he directed me to an other scheme:
> Create a branch for the old plib/ssg code and do the osg stuff on HEAD.
> In this case we would have the plib/ssg stuff still available in that branch
> for those of us who need the well tested old stuff. We could safe some final
> merging if we do it in this way.
> Thougths/Comments - where should I check in?

I am eager to see it in CVS. It seems natural that the flow of innovation goes
to HEAD and branches are used for freezing functionalities and doing
maintenance release. Many big projects are doing like that, gcc for instance.

It should be easier to do that because doing branch merging can be risky at a
large scale. It is better not to rely on it and accept the idea of doing things
twice if a bug appears in a branch and the trunk.

So, IMO, we should create a pre-1.0 branch now, fix the more embarrassing bugs (
and missing features ) in that branch and let the innovation go in HEAD.

I hope Curt is not thinking about duplicating the repository like it was done
for version 0.8.0 :-)

BTW: I presume only SSG has been replaced and PUI/PUAUX/JS are still needed.
right ?

-Fred

--
Frédéric Bouvier