On Wed, 8 Nov 2006, Yurik V. Nikiforoff wrote:

> There is one problem around it. Power of starter not enough for spin engine
> shaft with big propeller - as I understand, this is JSBsim limitation. I read
> about it in devel list, but fix not ready yet. Cause this limitation,
> inertial starter may work unstable.

Works for me anyway. I just followed the instructions on the screen.

A friend of mine showed me a film clip he took himself of the starting
up procedures of an AN-2. The owner of the aircraft, who was starting it
up, is a guy who is blind since birth and whose passion in life is loud
noices and engines, preferably in combination. Apart from the AN-2 he
has a small collection of old aircraft engines and a big ship engine in the
yard which he on occasions starts up and make loud noices with just for the
fun of it. So even a blind man can start up an AN-2.

But I noticed that there is a 3D cockpit (without instruments) in the
model, viewable from the outside. This however doesn't appear in the
cockpit view for me. Is that switched off intentionally, by mistake, or has
it something to do with my rendering setup?

And regarding manuals for the aircraft: Since this is the most manufactured
aircraft in the world, there ought to be manuals for it in plenty of other
languages than Russian. (or Ukrainian -- The Antonov factory is located at
UKKM near Kiev in Ukraina. Zoom in on the satellite image on the flightgear
MP server map or google earth, and you can spot another famous Antonov
aircraft standing on the apron: the AN-225)

I found one translation to English (from Polish, they say) of the AN-2
manual here:
http://www.tailwheel.nl/airplanesal/antonov2/manuals/index.html
But before you all download the 36M pdf file: unfortunately it is passworded
-- no mentioning of that on the web page. (not that pdf encryption is very
strong...)