On 11/29/06, Ampere K. Hardraade wrote:

On Wednesday 29 November 2006 13:29, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 09:27:29 -0800, Alex wrote in message
> >
> > I'd also hate to look in two places.  On the other hand, changing how
> > we present the mailing list archives so they look like a forum _and_
> > allow replying if you have logged in ... would be really useful.
> > Logging in implies an account whose email address has been verified in
> > the same way that mailman does.  So it can't be used for spamming
> > unless you could easily have spammed with the mailman list system.
>
> ..I too like this way of doing it.

Same here.

This sounds good and I've seen one place that had this set up (egroups?) but
I've not run across open-source software package that can actually do this
and I'm not at a point in my life where I have time to write a custom list
archiver/bbs hybrid system myself.

I don't know ... I'm not sold on the idea of forums exactly, but I do sense
that a different group of users will probably latch onto the forums and feel
a lot more comfortable using them versus email lists.  I think that email
lists are intimidating to some people ... and perhaps forums are
intimidating or seem like a pain to other people.  Maybe there's something
to be said about forcing/funneling all the discussions through one
mechanism, but on the other hand there's something to be said about giving
people options and letting them choose what they are most comfortable with.
I just realize I have said absolutely nothing. :-)

I think I'm going to let them run just a bit longer and then maybe we can an
idea if enough people think they are useful and are using them.

Regards,

Curt.
--
Curtis Olson - University of Minnesota - FlightGear Project
http://baron.flightgear.org/~curt/  http://www.humanfirst.umn.edu/