The technique used in the Ornithopter worked well but it only had to simulate
the varying twist in the wings as they flapped up and down.  The greatest
amount of twist was well out towards the tips of the wings and as these are
moving through quite some distance it's just about impossible to see the
switch between the different wing objects.

Animating wing bending, along the span, is certainly doable but because the
renderer is surface based i.e. polys you'd have to make the wing in segments
and animate each segment (I considered this for the B-52F but it was too much
effort at the time so just made them pivot).  The number of segments would
define how 'smooth' the bent wing would look.  If there was a curve based
i.e. nurbs renderer available it would be a simple matter but afaik there's
no such beast outside of 3d packages.

LeeE