Hi Joacim,

Joacim Persson schrieb am 02.01.2007 17:50:
> On Tue, 2 Jan 2007, Maik Justus wrote:
>

>> I thought the next sentence in my mail is the explanation:
>>
>> "But his is not the real aim. I want to add the ability to use ropes. To
>> be used for winch as well as for aerotow."
>>

> The real challenge is to make it work over MP with a human piloting the
> tow aircraft. (A winch or a towing ground vehicle could by all means
> also be human controlled.)

Yes, that is the aim.

> So what's your plan here? Add optional /external/ control of a thruster?

Adding a hinch objects to YASim, which can be connected to a tow. The
other end of the tow can be connected to a fixed position or an
AI/MP-Object. The length of the tow can be modified (-> winch).
> Then it wouldn't matter if it's a towing aircraft being subject to a force
> pulling backwards or a towed aircraft being subject to a force forward.
> Same implementation.
Yes.
> It would also work the same for helicopter sling
> loads.
Yes, but we need a cargo-fdm.
> Or towing with mobile ground vehicles.
>
> But where would the simulation of the towing line go?  (Stretch, drag, bend,
> weight, inertia... weak links?
As a first step I want to simulate the tow with both aircrafts (for
aerotow). First I only want to simulate weight and stretch.
>  A winch wire or a pay-out line doesn't have
> a constant lenght.) It's not a "dead" object. A towing line can be released
> at either end, by the pilot at each end or by a snapping weak link at each
> end. So it's not really a submodel of any of the objects at the ends of it.

Yes. But if it is released by one aircraft, the tow will be ignored by
the other aircraft.
> I think the tow/airlift wire/line object should be it's own simulation
> instance. -- ?

Do you know, if this is already possible in Flightgear?
> And of course, designing gliders per se doesn't require any patching of any
> fdm backend. The yasim solver needs a thruster element for determining
> drag, but the force from that would be the same fwd thrust produced from
> sink rate + mass and the L/D ratio at best glide or min sink. (easily
> calculated) L/D ratio and airspeed for best glide performance, and sink
> rate /airpseed for minimum sink (at a respective weight) are normally
> published data for gliders. Just pretend gravity is not perfectly vertical
> when defining <approach> and <cruise>...

Yes, you can add a thruster and YASim can simulate glieders as it is.
But with a very small patch (adding a glide angle to approach and
cruise) you don't need the thruster fake any longer.

Best regards,
Maik