On Wednesday 24 January 2007 23:22, Ampere K. Hardraade wrote:
> On Wednesday 24 January 2007 22:57, Brian Penix wrote:
> > Second, besides the B-29 stuff I do Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
> > for a living and have loads of data where that is concerned.
>
> Having loads of GIS data is great, but the first thought that came to my
> mind after reading this sentence is "copyright issue".

And you would have good reason.....However, the data for WV is publicly
available. See:

http://wvgis.wvu.edu/

> > We also
> > are almost done with building footprints for selected cities that should
> > allow for more realistic buildings in the model.
>
> How those footprints are generated would be a more interesting topic, in my
> opinion.
>
> Ampere

Simple, it is part of the E-911 Statewide Addressing and Mapping Board
initiative utilizing side scanning LIDAR data for the larger buildings (exact
square footage threshold is still under debate). The idea behind it is to be
able to determine exact locations for emergency response. This data (E-911)
is currently non-public until validation is complete then publicly cleared
data will be released on the WVGIS site I listed above. Full metadata
(including any copyright info) is given with the data.

Brian