On 02/22/2007 08:32 AM, AJ MacLeod wrote:
> On Thursday 22 February 2007 13:28, John Denker wrote:
>> Solving this problem is easy:
>
> I'd say so too... for "exact" values rather which don't rely on modelled
> instrumentation can't one just use the values provided under "/position" in
> the property tree?

It depends on what you're trying to model, and whether you want
to have any semblance of realism.

  -- One can imagine a super-fancy inertial navigation system that
   could report the /position of the aircraft as suggested above.
  ++ However, most aircraft do not have such a thing.
  ++ If you did have such a thing, you would not be allowed to use
   it as your primary altimeter.  There are regulations as to what
   altitude must be flown, and these regulations are written in
   terms of barometric altitude.  That is not equivalent to true
   altitude.
  ++ Some of us (not all, of course) would like to get FG to the
   point where it would be usable as a procedures trainer.  This
   requires modeling the instruments "warts and all".  As a start,
   this includes modeling the nonidealities of the barometric
   altimeter ... such as H-A-L-T among others.