Csaba Halász

> Sent: 14 June 2007 04:28
>
> Subject: Re: [Flightgear-devel] C++ code beautifier / Coding
>

> On 6/14/07, Martin Spott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > "Vivian Meazza" wrote:
> >
> > > Lesson for the future. Understand what code does, test that it
> > > doesn't break anything, make sure it compiles on at least
> one other
> > > os, and submit it for review (especially when you are
> mucking around
> > > with other people's code).
> > [...]
> > > I don't enjoy repairing code which other people break, and nor, I
> > > expect does Alexis. I haven't got time, nor the inclination.
> >
> > Did you make sure that you're targetting the right person? Just in
> > case you didn't know, then you should realize _now_ that you're not
> > the only person who's been working on the AI subsystem recently.
>
> Looks like tacan is the magic word to make Vivian mad ;)

It is.

> Some time ago I also submitted a tacan patch for review,
> didn't get much response from other people. Might be worth to
> check it out if somebody missed it and is interested.

I did, and as I told you at the time, it didn't work properly. Or at least,
it didn't conform to the way that the other NAVAIDS work right now.

> I think
> my ideas were not that bad for the future.

I'm sure they are, but "future" is the operative word.

> The "if it ain't
> broke don't fix it" strategy is not always the best.

It is when we are trying to prepare a release.

> Now to the coding style. Snip ... We have said enough already

> Finally some words about development in general. Of course
> everybody should test their changes prior to submitting them
> for inclusion, but I don't think this is such a serious
> matter. (Certainly not warranting buying a copy of windows to
> be able to check
> cross-platform)

That isn't really necessary. Try to make sure you patch doesn't break
anything else using your own os, (and yes we all write in bugs at some
point). Then post the patch for review before committing - someone who has a
different os has a chance of checking it out, or better, get someone else in
this great circle of colleagues to do it for you. No need to work in
splendid isolation.

> If any problems come up later, I am sure the author of the
> patch would be willing to fix what he has broken. As a last
> resort, the offending patch could be reverted, nothing is
> lost. Nobody is required to fix stuff broken by others.

Just too often they are.

> Some bad-tempered mail started showing up on this list
> recently. For me flightgear is great fun both flying and
> coding and I intend to keep it that way. So everybody be nice
> and don't get mad at each other, okay?
>

> PS: Be on the lookout, AWACS reports some patches on the way
> from me ;)

Tested, I'm sure :-).

Vivian