Hi Hans,

>> I checked out the source files including 0.9.11-pre1, SimGear-0.3.11-
>> pre1, and Plib-1.8.4. SimGear-0.3.11 doesn't include the alut.h fix,
>> so it works with self-compiled freeglut as you wrote before, but I
>> don't think many users will do that so I decide to provide patches
>> for Mac OS X users separately.
>> This way, the changes I made don't affect neither the original source
>> files or Apple's ALUT framework.
>
> Ok, it's as I suspected then. I'm not sure what alut.h fix you're
> referring to - the only one I know of is to put it in place, or not
> use it in the first place. If there is a SimGear workaround that would
> be nice, because it wouldn't require fiddling around with Apple's
> framework, which is bound to cause headaches (i.e. on security
> upgrades it will no longer exist).

My patches include the SimGear workaround as I wrote in the last post.
The patch copies alut.h to the local SimGear directory. I know it's
not that ideal but
it's way much better than losing alut.h by Software Update.

>> Though I'm very glad about your contribution to Mac OS X port, I need
>> to tell you some potential problems in posting patches. Mac OS X port
>> is a bit complicated since it must support both PPC/Intel Macs, so
>
> Linux must support dozens of architectures.

Ha ha, You're right. but Mac OS port must build the universal binary
that
Linux don't have to take care of. I know I can make configure/make
stuffs
that build universal binary, but it might take some time to get along
with the
existing configure/makefiles in the original source tree.

>> the Mac port has patches for both PPC/Intel Macs. This means that the
>> patches you will create might affect the existing patches that are
>> provided separately. so If you post the patches to the original
>> source files, I'd like you to consult the patches for Mac OS X port
>> to avoid conflicts. The patches for Mac OS X are available at:
>
> I appreciate your work on the XCode port, and I'm sure the
> downloadable .app will be more user-friendly and mac-like. I, on the
> other hand, am a UNIX geek at heart and so I am most interested in
> helping to get FlightGear to compile out of the box

sure you can make it by doing configure/make yourself.
It should be available for Unix users. As a matter of fact, I'm a
UNIX geek too
and I really want to do configure/make stuffs (to build the same
thing that
the current Mac OS X port does). So if you provide some help on the
out-of-the-box way,
I'm very glad. And I don't think that many of such effort won't
affect the existing Mac OS port.
I just want to let you know about this just in case.

> (and helping to
> keep it that way), without requiring a separate fork. I think mostly
> thanks to your past work, we're as close as I've ever seen - only one
> small patch and the ALUT problem for PLIB.

Right. If these two can be solved in the original source tree then
I'm very happy.
Though this is so Mac specific (thus not solved yet), there must be a
solution.
One easy way out is to embed the alut.h file and my patch into the
original source,
but I'm not sure that users on the other platforms want the redundant
alut.h

> I'm happy to coordinate testing with anyone who has ppc; I have an
> intel mac. I did have ppc for about a year so I'm familiar with both
> sides of the fence, as far as that goes.

Excellent. There was a ppc specific workaround in extracting images
on a splash screen on 0.9.10.
I'm wondering if it's already solved. I successfully built the 0.9.11-
pre1 on my Mac Book Pro
so I'll test it on a PowerBook, hopefully soon.

> Unfortunately at the moment I've dedicated all the hard disk space I
> can to FlightGear, but I'll take a look through viewcvs.

Yeah, it requires lots of hard disk space. I guess I have more than
10 Gigs of FlightGear stuffs in my local drive.
Here's the URLs for the repository for your convenience:

[0.9.10]
   http://macflightgear.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/macflightgear/
branches/0.9.10

[0.9.11-pre1]