Hi all!

Thomas Förster wrote:
> Am Mittwoch 04 Juli 2007 19:38 schrieb Heiko Schulz:
>> Hi,
>>
>> But I forgot a wish: I would love to see, if we could
>> change and do individuals paintings of the ground of
>> airports - all the lines and markings. Maybe that
>> could be something...
>
> AFAIK Ralf Gerlich has done some research in that direction, as the new
> X-Plane apt.dat format codes this information. But he is totally overburdened
> with PhD, TaxiDraw, TerraGear, name some 10 projects more  work... :-)

He! Thanks for the flowers, but all I did was having a look at the
format, finding out how the definition of the geometry works and how I
could implement editing in TaxiDraw.

The main idea I had for implementation was some kind of polygon offset
approach, but in order to keep the variing heights at airports and not
makeing them flat the polygons for the lines would have to be
pre-calculated to fit the underground. At least one would need a clever
way of quickly determining the plane in which the line segments have to
be oriented.

A dynamic texture-based approach might work, but it should really get
it's LoD straight, as I don't think blurry taxiway lines are a good
sight. The "blurry textures at low altitudes" might not be a problem
when you're flying at typical altitudes, but I suspect it's a real PITA
when your taxiing along.

Cheers,
Ralf