Ron Jensen wrote:
> Let me try to hijack this thread to ask a related question:
>
> How do I get the altitude of the ground at a given location?
>
> I have a simple little tool that prints the base path and index for a
> given longitude and latitude pair.  Is there a simgear function to load
> the associated .btg.gz terrain file and find the elevation at the given
> point?  Or should I be looking at flightgear for an example?  I'd like
> to keep the program quick and simple...  Ultimate goal is automated
> object placement.
>
> Or am I re-inventing a wheel here?

A combination of scripts/perl/scenery/calc-tile.pl and
scripts/perl/examples/telnet.pl is what I use for obtaining ground
elevations for the scenery object database. It does require a connection
to a running instance of flightgear though - so it's not exactly
"lightweight".

--
Jon Stockill
[EMAIL PROTECTED]