Durk Talsma

> Sent: 25 September 2007 07:36
> To: FlightGear developers discussions
> Subject: Re: [Flightgear-devel] FGFS 0.9.11 release candidate two
>

> On Sunday 23 September 2007 13:50, I wrote:
> > Some observations:
> > - Some small pauzes seem to be caused by consecutive calls to the
> > systems controller and environment. Execution times of
> these systems
> > is variable, between calls, but the execution time of "environment"
> > seems to be just slightly longer than that of "controller":
> >
> > Subsystem Timing Alert : 18150 controller
> > Subsystem Timing Alert : 20519 environment
> >
> > Subsystem Timing Alert : 47917 controller
> > Subsystem Timing Alert : 49514 environment
> >

> > The longer and icreasingly growing pauzes seem to be caused
> by replay,
> > possibly in interaction with some of the other subsystems.
> I haven't
> > really found out what is going on here.
> >

> Just a quick follow-up question: Has anybody tried running
> FlightGear / plib
> with the last SimGear checkout (with Fred's profiling code)?
>
> The observed timing problems are the major show stopper for
> the next release
> (IMHO), so I think we should try to get to the bottom of it.
> I'm postponing
> putting out a release candidate until we have some better
> understanding as to
> what's going on. I might have another look this weekend, but
> don't have time
> right now.

Here's a short burst of the output of Fred's profiling code using Windows
XP, with the source code complied using MSVC8;

Subsystem Timing Alert : 19000 fx
Subsystem Timing Alert : 15000 fx
Subsystem Timing Alert : 14000 replay
Subsystem Timing Alert : 11000 replay
Subsystem Timing Alert : 15000 replay
Subsystem Timing Alert : 14000 replay
Subsystem Timing Alert : 12000 fx
Subsystem Timing Alert : 18000 replay
Subsystem Timing Alert : 17000 fx
Subsystem Timing Alert : 32000 input
Subsystem Timing Alert : 19000 fx
Subsystem Timing Alert : 11000 fx
Subsystem Timing Alert : 11000 fx
Subsystem Timing Alert : 11000 fx
Subsystem Timing Alert : 63000 ai_model
Subsystem Timing Alert : 12000 fx
Subsystem Timing Alert : 16000 fx

Visually, the stutters do not seem to coincide timewise with the output from
this code, so I'm not _totally_ convinced that we are getting anything very
useful. Is there anything else I can do to help?

V.