Am Dienstag, den 25.12.2007, 22:24 +0100 schrieb R. van Steenbergen:
> gerard robin schreef:
> >  With an aircraft which has gears  retractable , the "landing" on sea can be
> >  done  smoothly on the belly.
> >  TableData  "drag" (and "lift") can be given with the best values according
> >  to the water reaction.
> >  The values regarding landing on ground remains right.
> >  We have, only, to select the right TableData according to terrain type,
> >  which is easy to do.
> >
> The possibility of belly landing an aircraft depends on the aircraft
> type -- an A/C with underwing mounted engines and a low wing is
> impossible to make a graceful belly-ditch (like the 737) since the
> engines would scoop up all the water and cause a huge amount of drag
> (and pitch the nose forward).

In this case the pilot approaches the water with a slight bank, so only
one engines hits the water. The drag will cause the aircraft to make a
strong yaw-movement, thereby loosing speed and reducing the tendency to
dive nose over.

This is a standard procedure for emergency landing and has been
successfully (without loss of lives) conducted in the past.