--- Stuart Buchanan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
schrieb:

> --- Curtis Olson wrote:
> > Here are a couple of thoughts for whatever they
> are worth.
> >
> > 1. In the original implementation, the randomness
> was seeded with some
> > element from the triangle the objects.  The way
> the random object pattern
> > was always fixed.  This was critical for multi-PC
> setups so that the exact
> > same set of random objects appeared on each
> display.  This is pretty
> > critical for higher end cockpit setups, otherwise
> they start looking pretty
> > silly when objects don't cross your monitor
> boundaries as you fly.
>
> I've "fixed" this by using a hardcoded seed, so
> everyone will see the same set of
> random objects at the moment.
>
> > 3. One thing I didn't like so much about the
> original implementation was
> > that all the objects lived within a small radius
> around your aircraft.  This
> > was especially apparent with forests.  I don't
> know if this is possible to
> > fix, but I once had a 1/2 baked idea that seemed
> hopeful at the time.
> >
> > What I would love to see is some sort of
> statistical distribution where a
> > few objects exist even at a far distance, and then
> as you get closer and
> > closer, more and more of the objects fill in.  I
> was thinking that this
> > would be more natural looking and you wouldn't
> notice the spotlight of trees
> > following beneath you as much.
>
> Currently, there is a single LoD node for each
> random object, which is referenced
> multiple times within the tile. Creating a different
> LoD node for each instance
> of the object would probably have too much of a
> performance hit.
>
> However, I've put together a workaround/hack that
> gets us most of the way there
> without costing us too much. For each object, we
> create (say) 3 LoD nodes with
> different LoD distances - 1x, 1.5x and 2x. By
> randomly choosing between the
> different LoD nodes when we generate the instances
> (with a distribution favouring
> the standard LoD value), we get a variety of LoDs.
> I've had a play, and it looks
> quite convincing, though as we currently don't have
> trees, the effect is quite
> subtle.
>
> I've uploaded a new patch which includes this
> feature, along with some changes
> that Andy and Csaba suggested on IRC to
>
> http://www.nanjika.co.uk/flightgear/random.tar.gz.
>
> -Stuart

Hi,

Nice to hear, though I'm generally not a fan of this
AutoGen-thing: for me it looks funny when objects in
sight suddenly appear and disapear...
I'm more a fan of Sebastian Bechthold's idea...

But this means one step ahead to the first
FGFS-OSG-Release!

Question: is there any plans to add the
"imposter"-technologie by OSG? It could improve that
AutoGen a lot.

Regards
HHS

still in work: http://www.hoerbird.net/galerie.html
But already done: http://www.hoerbird.net/reisen.html

      Machen Sie Yahoo! zu Ihrer Startseite. Los geht's:
http://de.yahoo.com/set