On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 3:58 PM, Gijs de Rooy wrote:

> Tonight we've had kind of discussion on the in-game-chat about
> the idea to seperate playing and flying in different MP-servers.

I'm a little late here, but just wanted to weigh in that I think this a
pretty good idea ... there's no harm in trying it out.  In a perfectly free
world, there'd be no reason I can think of why anyone couldn't start their
own separate MP server if they wanted to.

As you point out, clearly the default MP world is a giant free for all.  I
think the default advertised MP server(s) will and should be like that.
This is the playground for all those that are trying FlightGear for the
first time, or trying a new plane for the first time, or testing something,
or whatever.

A "serious" MP server for those that want to do their best to follow real
aviation procedures and rules makes a lot of sense ... these procedures and
real world rules would need to be honored as best as possible.  We still
need to allow for honest mistakes since I believe that most people involved
in this project are not licensed full scale pilots, and real lives are not
at stake if a mistake is made.  We would need to keep that all in proper
perspective.

I'm also involved in building FAA certified simulators for real pilot
training.  So having a "super serious" MP server where mistakes are treated
very harshly might be a fun thing to setup someday as well.  I can think of
several other situations where a private or semi-private server would be
useful.

One question this may eventually lead to, is do we want to add some simple
password authentication scheme in our MP protocol so that MP server admins
can control who participates on their server?  It's nice to live in a world
where everyone chooses to act nice, but as FG grows and as our MP usage
grows, some sort of authentication scheme might become an unfortunate
necessity to prevent willful abuse.

So to summarize:

We definitely want to maintain a default MP system that is open and free for
all to join.  But if someone wants to setup a specialized MP server for a
special purpose, I don't think that even needs to be discussed.

Regards,

Curt.
--
Curtis Olson: http://baron.flightgear.org/~curt/