Hi!

LeeE wrote:
> I would argue that we need to keep track of copyright issues because
> all of the FG aircraft and their colour schemes, perhaps with the
> exclusion of Oleg,  are copyrighted and FG has no clear rights to
> use them (Oleg's 'components' i.e. the bricks are copyrighted but
> the design made out of them isn't).  Actually, Oleg's design is
> copyrighted but the copyright holder is the person who submitted it
> to FG:)

I agree.

> _We_ are discussing it because _you_ posted a reply to it:)
> Otherwise it would have just been me, and I would have probably
> soon shut up about it:)   So if you don't want to discuss it -
> don't post about it:)

I asked why we are discussing about the "exhibition" issue instead of
the distribution issue. I originally did not reply about "exhibition"
stuff, but rather about the "for profit" vs. "in a regular manner"
distinction.

In general, a discussion about the legal aspects is not very satisfying,
except if there would be two lawyers on this list discussing it - which
would not be very satisfying as well (two lawyers, three opinions).

If I unterstood the text linked by Melchior in his original post
correctly, the EFF mainly focuses on the trademark issues of the
designs, but not on the copyright issues.

Trademark issues might - independently of the problems the EFF is
focusing on - be applicable to the liveries. Copyright issues might be
applicable to the designs. The best solution would be if we had the
written agreement of the respective rights owners. That could clear us
from legal issues, independent of whether such issues would arise or
not. However, one would have to clarify, who "we" is or who needs the
written agreement.

To be reasonably sure of what we have to do and what we can do, we'd
need a copyright expert (read: an actual lawyer). I am no such expert -
although I'd say that I know a good part or two about copyright - and I
suspect those taking part in the discussion so far aren't, either.
Discussing this among legal laymen is probably no good idea.

Cheers,
Ralf