Syd wrote:

>Vivian Meazza wrote:
>

>>>Behalf Of Syd
>>>Sent: 14 April 2008 08:03
>>>To: FlightGear developers discussions
>>>Subject: Re: [Flightgear-devel] Trees

>>>how does one

>>>month when

>>>runway and know

>>>they start

>>>Hi John,
>>>Setting <tree-coverage> to 0 in the materials.xml file should
>>>do it . Haven't tried myself , I like it as dense as possible
>>>:). Cheers, Syd
>>>

>>Nothing like doing things the hard way :-). Try
>>
>> --prop:sim/rendering/random-vegetation=false
>>
>>I use it and it works here.
>>
>>Vivian
>>

>Well , ok , that is easier , forgot about that one  ...
>Syd

Thanks,

BTW, was at a conference last week on PC-based simulations.  One
presenter from AFRL (Air Force Research Labs) did a survey of major
flight sim programs.  The three top systems were MSFS, X-Plane, and
Flightgear.  FG matched up nicely in all areas except documentation, but
it was cut a little slack being an OSS program.    The presenter was
reviewing the 1.0 version.
Curt will get a copy of all the presentations; might want to excise that
portion and post it

Since Curt was having all kinds of fun cruising the Pacific, I had to
expand on FG capabilities not discussed. Since the docs are thin in some
areas some of the features of FG were not covered.  However, while
presenting the use of FG and JSBSim on the 747 project, I was able to
fill in and add some areas that were not covered, most notably the
transition to OSG and AI stuff.

Another interesting tidbit, during the RedHat presentation on virtual
machines a show off hands from the audience showed a majority (60%) were
linux users.... interesting.

John