Off topic to Melchior and Ralf's non-technical discussion, but:

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 8:29 AM, Ralf Gerlich
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The index concept has some similarity to a B-tree
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B-Tree) in terms of structure, though the
> balancing aspect and therefore some of the performance estimates do of
> course not apply. Still, the general intention and the structural
> aspects are in most points applicable to our index.

To truly optimize for load balancing the operating system's directory
searches, we should really be reading from the right end of the
airport identifier ... which is more uniformly random than the left
end.  We can drop one level of tree completely, only increase the size
of the worst case leaf directory by a factor of two from 58 to 107
files, and reduce the number of organizational directories from 9681
to 1267.  The average size of each leaf directory increases from 3 to
21 files which is comparable to the tree directories that now have 36
subdirectories.  This naming scheme would cause the example file to
become:
Airports/A/X/LOXA.ils.xml

Having said that, anyone doing non-programmatic access is probably not
going to enjoy that hierarchy.  So, unless someone wants to assert
that Airports/ is going to be under automated maintenance, I continue
to think that Ralf (et al) have made a good choice.