One more thing.

The fgfs.sh hangs if you don't have ~/.fgfs folder (yes, this is a bug).
If you launch FlightGear from the GUI launcher but the simulator window doesn't
come up,
please try the followings:

1) Open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app
2) type the following command in Terminal
  mkdir ~/.fgfs

That's it.