One thing to be *very* careful of is assuming that flightgear has some
absolute right to control what happens downstream.  If this company is
honoring it's responsibilities under the GPL, there is nothing that
the FG community can do to prevent it happening.

The GPL enshrines those rights to the recipient, and by extension you
give up the right of control as an author when you allow code to be
distributed under the GPL.

The main thing that the GPL prevents is 'flightsimpro' creating a
flightsim that has unique features and linking it into the the main
binary and preventing the release of that. But if the developer is
keeping their stuff separate (say an advanced-clean room
implementation of terrasync using different scenery, or a bridge to a
different flight sim network), again they have done nothing wrong by
the GPL (distribution of aggregations is a confusing area).

Contact with this company would clarify most of this quickly.

(A parasite isn't always violating the GPL - a lot of X and kernel
developers call Ubuntu a parasite since they don't contribute a
proportional amount upstream.)

Regards... Matthew

On 11/20/08, Stuart Buchanan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> --- On Thu, 20/11/08, Curtis Olson wrote:
>> Someone pointed out this site to me.  It probably falls into
>> the category of just barely ok, but I thought I'd post the link
>> here to get some more eyes on it.
>>
>>     http://flight-aviator.com/
>>

> One way to discourage this sort of thing would be to include
> "www.flightgear.org" prominently in the startup screens, in the
> same way that we include "initializing sub-systems",
> "initializing scenery".
>
> Possibly with an added message along the lines of "Welcome to FlightGear,
> the free open source flight simulator."
>
> That would force the rip-off merchants to at least compile the code,
> rather than simply replacing some .pngs!
>
> -Stuart

Sent from my mobile device