Sure.  It is involved and complex, so I didn't want to bother people
unless they wanted the information.

First, get a compiler built via crosstool -
http://www.kegel.com/crosstool/  That allows you to low-bar the
baseline glibc and gcc (and hence libstdc++).

Then build the out-of-distro packages with that compiler.  So long as
you target the lowest common denominator you are willing to support,
then you can have broad distro support.

The real complexity is a) getting the head around using a native cross
compiler, b) getting a solid idea of where your dependencies lie in
the distro-space.  Getting this right is a multi-week effort, but if
people are concerned with a new release being out of reach for the
majority of distro-users, then it is the only way to go.

Regards... Matthew

On 11/20/08, Arnt Karlsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 20:47:46 -0500, Matthew wrote in message
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
>> As per other discussions, there is nothing stopping fg from creating a
>> set of support libraries that exist in /opt/flightgear.  This can be
>> an optional 'we admit we are on the bleeding edge' support package
>> that can be made broadly compatible.
>>
>> If people are interested in a recommended approach for building
>> broadly compatible binaries, then please speak up.
>
> ..what in the world makes you think we are not interested?  The GPL?
> If you know something useful to us, you just volonteer it.
>
> --
> ..med vennlig hilsen = with Kind Regards from Arnt... ;o)
> ...with a number of polar bear hunters in his ancestry...
>   Scenarios always come in sets of three:
>   best case, worst case, and just in case.

Sent from my mobile device