Hi Gerad and Stuart,

First I will comment the pics shown here:

> http://pagesperso-orange.fr/GRTux/3DClouds-img10.jpg

Looks bad, but maybe this is an issue of the clouds texture. The clouds are
rather dense here- maybe too dense so it could be maybe solved with better
cloud definition by xml and textures.

> > > Two/
> > > Here everything is right, however some little
> flickering
> > >
> http://pagesperso-orange.fr/GRTux/3DClouds-img11.jpg

Flickering -o.k. I can live with that. I noticed the same issue on the MSFS
x-Demo with their clouds. But it seems that they interpolate the color and
alpha values of the sprites which makes the clouds soft and maybe prevent this
visible sorting we still have. And well- MSFS has money and a lot more people
working on the clouds than we have! (X-pLane has these flickerings too- you can
notice on a video on youtube)
If I can see right- you have a fps of 26- that's rather high- how you did this?
With this clouds I have around 6fps- and I have usually about 60fps.

> > > Four/
> > > the same than previous but view from under   ???
>  only a ghost no "fog"  !
> > >
> http://pagesperso-orange.fr/GRTux/3DClouds-img13.jpg

Looks strange- what's that for a cloud layer above? I noticed it too on Image
two- looks like bumpmapped enabled but this isn't working in OSG...

> I don't expect that these problems will be fixed in
> time for the release,
> given my current time constraints. If anyone else would
> like to take a
> look, as always they are very welcome to do so!
>
> I think they are most apparent in stratus and nimbo-stratus
> layers, so
> I suggest that we comment out those sections in
> cloudlayers.xml for the
> release. This will mean that those cloud types will be
> displayed as a
> 2D layer.
>
> I've been testing with this on my own system, and it
> resolves most of
> the issues, and looks acceptable for these cloud types.
>
> Heiko - you have been working hard on the 3D cloud
> textures, so I'd like
> to hear your opinion on this.
>
> -Stuart

I really have big fps troubles with stratus and nimbus cloud layers here and
usually I have no problems to reach 60-100 fps with all features enabled. In
the moment I don't see that we can get this with 3d-clouds and from the
commercial (game)sims I know, that they even use 2d-layers instead.
So we should use the 2d-layers instead. Maybe we can improve the textures for
these 2d-clouds.

Generelly the clouds appearence is better though of course we should add some
alpha to the textures. I will try this to make this weekend.
Maybe I can try to give the clouds a bit more volume- just changing the
xml-config!
The only thing I don't like, that is that the cloud visibility range is only to
20km and at the horizon they look very blueish- never seen in reality.

Changing the weather needs a long time now - some seconds until the new weather
is loaded.

Cheers
HHS