Oh for me it is not a problem as I compile SG-FG cvs, OSG-plib svn using
the script ./compile which is one of my own and install them in my user
space (http://seb.marque.free.fr/fichiers/flightgear/compile.tgz can do
many other things but coffee :)).

Indeed I was mainly thinking about distros that won't be able to package
FG until they have plib 1.8.5 in their repos, and as this version is
available for some months now, I wonder why it is not already the case
(maybe FG 1.99.5 could be the "coup de pouce" for pushing 1.8.5 in repos)

regards
seb