* Durk Talsma -- Sunday 22 March 2009:
> FWIW, I just checked in a small change that allows the AI Air Traffic
> controller to request the AI Aircraft to set a squawk code.

Yeah, I've read that, and we've immediately discussed on IRC how to use
that. Unfortunately, we didn't have an ATC/Radar screen expert there,
who could tell us in which way that should appear on the screen.
One idea would be to put it by where the callsign is now, and only
if it's not available use the callsign.

> For now, I've bound the actual code to
>
> /ai/models/aircraft[x]/transponder-id

It's an essential info about the aircraft, so I think that's fine.
An alternative would be in an ./instrumentation/transponder/id or
something. Depends on whether there's more data of that sort to
be expected in the /ai/ dir.

> BTW: What are "objects that are in /ai/models/ but not managed by the AI
> Manager? All the properties that are written to /ai/models  are part of the
> AIModels subsystem, (including multiplayer aircraft) and consequently managed
> by the AI Manager, or am I missing something?

tanker.nas puts the tanker there. It's also artificially (un)intelligent,
but the main reason for putting it there is that it should be picked
up by the air-refueling code and radar. And in general, an instrument
shouldn't get its info via "secret" channels from some other subsystems.
The property system is for this kind of data exchange. At least this
was the original design idea.

m.