Melchior FRANZ wrote:
>  * Durk Talsma -- Sunday 22 March 2009:
> > FWIW, I just checked in a small change that allows the AI Air
> > Traffic controller to request the AI Aircraft to set a squawk code.
> >

>  Yeah, I've read that, and we've immediately discussed on IRC how to
>  use that. Unfortunately, we didn't have an ATC/Radar screen expert
>  there, who could tell us in which way that should appear on the
>  screen. One idea would be to put it by where the callsign is now, and
>  only if it's not available use the callsign.

In the f-14 A/B/+ the IFF system display aircraft response on the radar
screen (that is the small video display center top of the backseat panel).
Echos are then surrounded by two horizontal bars, one for proper mode
response, the other for proper code response. There is also one of the
ECM warning lights set which illuminates when the f-14's receives a
request.
I am planning to work on this, but not in the near future.

> > For now, I've bound the actual code to
> >
> > /ai/models/aircraft[x]/transponder-id
>
>  It's an essential info about the aircraft, so I think that's fine. An
>  alternative would be in an ./instrumentation/transponder/id or
>  something. Depends on whether there's more data of that sort to be
>  expected in the /ai/ dir.
>

> > BTW: What are "objects that are in /ai/models/ but not managed by
> > the AI Manager? All the properties that are written to /ai/models
> > are part of the AIModels subsystem, (including multiplayer
> > aircraft) and consequently managed by the AI Manager, or am I
> > missing something?
>
>  tanker.nas puts the tanker there. It's also artificially
>  (un)intelligent, but the main reason for putting it there is that it
>  should be picked up by the air-refueling code and radar. And in
>  general, an instrument shouldn't get its info via "secret" channels
>  from some other subsystems. The property system is for this kind of
>  data exchange. At least this was the original design idea.

Good news, the f-14b radar scripts don't flood anymore /ai/models/
These properties have been moved under /sim/model/f-14b.

Alexis