Hi everybody

I'd like to hear thoughts from the FG community about setting up a system to
perform builds & execute a suite of tests on FlightGear, all automatically.

Right now I've experimented a bit with buildbot, a neat "continuous
integration" tool used by Mozilla and other projects, and I have a system
that can:
* check-out from various repositories
* build all FlightGear components
* perform rudimentary tests on the FG simulator just built, like verifing
the output on the command line and starting the simulator.

Now the next step would be to go airborne!
And there are two issues to resolve before take-off:
1) how to drive the input of the simulator
2) how to read its state

For the second one, I've seen examples of reading the property tree from an
external process, so we should be set, but the solution to driving the sim's
input is still not clear.
Specifically, I'd want to drive it as similarly as possible as when it's
controlled from a keyboard, not go through the property tree to force FGFS
into certain conditions.

By the way, the current setup works on Ubuntu x86-64, but buildbot is easily
extensible and supports Windows and MacOS platforms, so this could become a
cross-platform testing tool for the project.

Thanks,

  Tom "Tom-cat"