From: Martin Spott <martin.sp...@mgras.net>
To: flightgear-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
Sent: Monday, August 10, 2009 5:59:51 PM
Subject: Re: [Flightgear-devel] Multiplayer ATC "aircraft,

Syd,

syd adams wrote:

> does this mean I'm off the hook ? This one looks MUCH nicer :)

I know very little about FlightGear's ATC aircraft, even less do I know
about how to use it.
Note that this so-called "OpenRADAR" (we called it this way because we
were short of better ideas for a nice name  :-)  takes a totally
different approach and therefore is probably not a 'competition' to
FlightGear's ATC aircraft. OpenRADAR does not depend on the huge
infrastructure which is required to run FlightGear but, on the other
hand, it also doesn't serve any of the features which are unique to
FlightGear, like this live chatting stuff for example

Instead, OpenRADAR is really meant to be a pure RADAR console for
whichever simulation or real-life datagram protocol you'd like to write
a parser frontend (just think of a FLARM reciever, for example, or
maybe even EUROCONTROL's ASTERIX). Nothing less, but also nothing more.
Thus, in order to be used with FlightGear or any other simulation, it's
best complemented by a reasonable voice-communication tool, like FGCOM
- or a real radio  :-)
In addition to that, OpenRADAR is also different from FlightGear's ATC
aircraft in that it requires you to 'configure' every sector you'd like
to monitor.

For the sake of completeness, a closeup with fixes enabled:

  http://foxtrot.mgras.net/bitmap/FGFS/KSFO_closeup.png

Cheers,
    Martin.