On 8 Oct 2009, at 21:37, Vivian Meazza wrote:

> Way back in the early iterations of MP we had 2 sorts of messages -
> those
> which were transmitted on every cycle, and those which were
> transmitted on
> change of data. The trouble with that is with clients joining and
> leaving,
> it is hard to ensure that the clients are up-to-date. So you need to
> re-
> transmit on clients joining, which means triggering the originating
> client
> etc. etc. I think for that reason it was abandoned. It's just easier
> and
> more reliable to transmit everything all the time. And actually, the
> end
> result in data transmitted terms turns out to be not that different.

Easier certainly - but I think that was a bad tradeoff in the longer
term.

Sure, new clients will need to do more synchronize state, but
potentially a lot of infrequently changing data can be removed from
the regular updates, making them smaller too - while allowing, as
everyone seems to agree, richer and easier MP interaction.

As simple as possible is a good motto, but the current system seems a
bit too simple. Of course, it does work - and I've got enough other FG
projects that someone else can worry about this, for the moment. I'd
be happy to share what I know about mixed reliable/best-effort real
time networking, but it's not exactly much :)