syd adams wrote:
>I've made 2 versions of a shader menu dialog , rather than manage them from
>the property browser. Is (one ) of them worth commiting ?
>Another option that would be nice is a random vegetation density-factor
>property that could be set with a slider. That is , the density property could
>be 0-1 , and the material.xml densities would be multiplied by the density
>factor property...
>>Any opinions ?
>Cheers

Hi Syd,

You asked for opinions, so here are mine. Thanks for taking the time to look at
this - I think improving out general UI is a very good thing. It's far too easy
for us old-hands to get used to some of the less usable aspects of the current
UI.

I'm in two minds as to whether I like the idea of splitting the rendering
dialog. To be honest, the difference between shader effects, and, say,
"Particles" will be lost on most users.

However, the current dialog would benefit from being split : - How about
seperating the Display Options from Rendering Options:

Display Options
- Frame rate
- Chat messages
- View Name Popup (from the Active Views dialog)
- 2D Panel (currently under it's own menu, which is a bit inconsistent)
- HUD (Not currently displayed as a menu item)

Rendering Options
- Everything else from the current Rendering Options
- Shader Effects
- 3D cloud settings.

FWIW:  I think the shader dialog as it stands is a bit confusing as the "Enable
Effects" checkbox has no effect on 3D clouds (though I've heard that Tim is
planning to integrate it). There are also a couple of minor UI tidy-up things
as well, but they can wait.

-Stuart