On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 10:32:17 -0400, Nicolas wrote in message
<808354800910240732j3a31c2belb37bbcc2a50c8...@mail.gmail.com>:

> Erh, he just has to take out said code, and his customers will not be
> the wiser, since they won't see the message.
> He does read the list after all.
>
> As Bertrand said, it's not going to achieve the desired result, not
> at all. And it's trying to work around the GPL, by doing something
> different if you don't respect someone's wishes on naming/re-branding.
> That's an usage restriction, or close enough, that we're starting to
> split hairs many times over.
>
> If you want to go along a similar route, why not have the help menu
> go to the flightgear.org website, rather than a local copy of the
> manual ? Then you can control the content on said webpage and tell
> people about the bad folks at FPS.
>
> But doing sneaky stuff that will affect people who might have
> legitimate reasons to rename FGFS without breaching the GPL just to
> counter one offender seems, well, simply misguided.

..what if this "bug" pops up a bug report form where the
innocent end user may fill in all the gory details such
as money paid to which pirate copyist, for disgorgement?

..that way, we can explain why we need to do this.
More below.

> Cheers,
> Nic
>

> On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 10:14 AM, Martin Spott
> <martin.sp...@mgras.net>wrote:
>
> > Bertrand Coconnier wrote:
> >
> > > I am bit taken aback by this commit. Is it really where the Flight
> > > Gear community wants to go ?
> >
> > These people at Flight Pro Sim are deliberately trying to decieve
> > the FlightGear devlopment 'crew' (just think of their ridiculous
> > attempt of calming the waves by offering this $250 reward, _after_
> > they got 'trapped') as well as their own customers. Therefore I
> > think it's acceptable to shed some light onto the story by telling
> > the truth to the respective buyers.
> >
> > > IMHO this commit is pointless and I am concerned that it may be
> > > the first step of many towards restriction of use.
> >
> > As far as I can tell this step is pretty well in compilance with the
> > GPLv2, the license that covers most of FlightGear. So where do you
> > spot a restriction ?
> >
> > Cheers,
> >        Martin.

..note that a _failure_ to enforce the GPLv2, _can_ be construed
as a license.  C&D letters can also be copied into the "known
bugs" section, say with an invitation to join in on litigation
and disgorgement from culprits like the "Flight Pro Sim" crew.

..if e.g. Durk, Heiko and Curt sends a C&D letter to these ass
holes, denying them any further license to their FG code under
GPLv2 and Copyright Law, they must remove Durk's, Heiko's and
Curt's FG code from "their" "Flight Pro Sim", and write their
own code.  What _are_ you guys waiting for, their $250? ;o)

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: