Tim Moore wrote:
> On 10/27/2009 01:49 PM, dave perry wrote:
>
>> Tim Moore wrote:

>>> With Ron's help I've committed a fix for this. Please check it out and
>>> report any
>>> further problems.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Tim
>>>

>> Hi Tim,
>>
>> With the altimeter set to the ALT (in hg) in the weather conditions
>> table from the Environment gui, the field elevations I checked were
>> correct.  But the number in this table no longer matches the real
>> weather scenario metar number.  I believe Torsten made significant
>> changes to the real weather code.
>>
> I just did a test with real-weather-fetch at KSLC. When I set the altimeter
> using the QNH
> in the metar -- 29.76 -- the altitude is right on, as far as I can see. It's
> true that
> this pressure doesn't match the pressure shown in the Environment Conditions
> gui, 29.814,
> but that is to be expected; that pressure is now the true pressure at sea
> level, not the
> altimeter pressure.
>
> Does this jibe with what you're seeing?
>
> Tim

Hi Tim,

Yes.  After an update of fgfs and simgear this morning, I started at
KEGE (Eagle County RGNL with a field elevation and TDZE both equal to
6540 ft using real weather.  The QNH was 29.37 from metar.  When I set
the altimeter to this, it indicated 6528.  Since I was at the threshold,
not the TZE, that is close enough and much closer that with the
altimeter set to the ALT (in hg) from the gui weather conditions.

ALT (in hg) from the gui weather conditions used to be the QNH and one
could reset it in the gui while flying so that the pressure altitude and
the indicated altitude with the altimeter set to the QNH were not the
same.  In that case, one could do an approach and the minimums were
realistic.  It seems that we can no longer do this when using the manual
input as the metar source.  Why does the sim pilot need to know the
sealevel pressure?  In the above manual scenario, the sim pilot does
need to know the QNH.

Regards,
Dave P.