Sorry I didn't get back to everyone on their input sooner, I was out of town
for most of the last week.

The work I'm doing is with UAVs; specifically I'm trying to give a human on the
ground the ability to take control of a UAV. So I'm using Flightgear as the
Visual Rendering Platform. It takes it's flightmodel and position from the live
telemetry feed coming down from the plane. It shows the human pilot a fairly
accurate picture of what would be seen if they were looking out the cockpit
window, and allows them to control the plane directly. We've done the setup for
this, and had no trouble, but I haven't actually tried letting a human take
control yet. Up until now, it's been impossible, as the scenery we had was very
inaccurate. With the stuff I'm building now, it might be doable.

> The problem (most likely) is that the structure size of the index is a
> 16 bit signed word.  This means once you exceed 32767 texture
> coordinates, the mapping will go all goofy on you.
>
> I had a local mod here that switched to using "unsigned" indices which
> doubles your capacity, but in high res scenery, even this is easy to
> exceed.  I think this also required a change on the FlightGear side (but
> it was backwards compatible.)

Any idea where I might go in the program to make such changes? While doubling
the size wouldn't fix the problem, it would at least raise the limits somewhat.
Given the amount of time I have left to work on this project, I doubt I'm going
to get a chance to make massive changes to the way Terragear and Flightgear
handles scenery. So some of the other, more permanent suggestions might not be
feasible for me.

Certainly for the work I'm doing, changing the chunk size could work, although
I doubt I'd be able to implement it quickly enough to have it working before my
timeline runs out. But the piece of land I'm doing is an island, so any
inconsistencies between it and the rest of the world will be in the ocean.

And I understand that not everyone will be able to run super hi-rez scenery.
But like I said, I'm working on this for a particular research goal with UAVs.
But I figure there might be people out there interested in having access to the
final product for their own flying pleasure. I don't expect it would become
part of the official scenery.

And with that, I'm off to work on getting terragear to automatically assign all
"steep" triangles a cliff texture. It's something that my scenery desperately
needs. I'm not sure if that's a feature that other people might benefit from in
their own builds. If it is, let me know. Hopefully I'll get it working...
-cullam

Get a sneak peak at messages with a handy reading pane with All new Yahoo!
Mail: http://ca.promos.yahoo.com/newmail/overview2/