On 11/10/2009 06:36 PM, Csaba Halász wrote:
> On 5 Nov 2009, at 09:18, Erik Hofman wrote:
>
>> John Denker:
>> Add a view debugging functions and represent the viewer quats in the
>> property tree for debugging.
>
> Unfortunately the debug code is broken and causes segfaults. It is
> tieing temporary char pointers to property nodes. In its current
> incarnation this happens in the function format_rotor in viewmgr.cxx.
> If we wish to have these debug properties I suggest they be published
> as numeric components.

That's interesting.

In an earlier version, I did exactly that:  putting the quats
into the property tree as four separate numerical entries.

Before switching to the string representation, I read the
code for the tie functions.  I got the impression the code
was making a clone, i.e. a deep copy.  Apparently this
impression was incorrect.  Sorry.

Having used the feature both ways, I remain of the opinion
that the string representation is easier for the user to
interpret.  Doing this safely via a few static char*s is
easy to do.  Let me work on it.