> Yes, I understand that. My vision was the flag would be set before
> genapts is ran. Or are all airports generated at a single pass? If
> that's the case perhaps genapts should use the literal runway number
> from apt.dat, and apt.dat can be edited to replace the leading zero with
> a space on US GA airports? This should still keep us compatible with
> x-plane 8.10 datafile specs...

The problem is one single flag won't be enough. I've been doing some
research... some airports have different precision markings on different
runways at the same airport, so maybe I've opened up a larger bag than I'm
capable of opening here.

However, the code for UK aiming styles should still stand as long as it's
proper:
string texture_name = "aim";
if(airport_id.substr(1,2) == "EG") { texture_name = "aim_uk"; }
should, in my mind, change the texture from "pc_aim" or "pa_aim" to "pc_aim_uk"
whenever the airport_id/ICAO code comes up as "EG" and, therefore, England. As
far as I know, this is the only country which uses a different aiming point.

The problem with the leading 0 is that there are a LOT of small US airports
which have ICAO codes which don't start with the letters K or P. If we could
determine a way to determine what these airfields are, that would be a huge
step in the right direction.

Also, for countries which have single bars as opposed to two- and three-bars, I
see no problem (again, mind my C++ newbishness) with adding something like:
if(airport_id.substr(1,2) == "CY" /* Canada */ ||
   airport_id.substr(1,2) == "EG" /* England */ ||
   airport_id.substr(1,2) == "ED" /* Germany */ ||
   airport_id.substr(1,2) == "ET" /* Germany (add Australia, Japan) */) {
 texture_name = "one_a"; }

Though you'd have to check to see if you use texture one_a or one_b.

Other than that this is a bigger "problem" than we can solve in one sitting...
I think eventually going to a database-driven way would work better, but not
until we extricate ourselves from the X-Plane 8.10 airport style, whenever that
is.

Cheers
John