On Thursday 17 Dec 2009, Curtis Olson wrote:
> I had a squawk here from a (real) King Air pilot because on an
> ILS approach, our glideslope indicator doesn't become
> active/in-range until about 7-8 miles out.  Beyond this range the
> indicator just stays centered at zero. With a standard 3 degree
> glide slope, 7 miles out equates to about 2000' AGL, outside of
> this range the FlightGear glideslope does nothing.
>
> I see our database lists the GS ranges at 10nm usually.  However,
> our code seems to be clamping the range to something
> significantly less than that. I've been poking around in
> navdb.cxx and navradio.cxx but haven't been able to connect all
> the dots yet.
>
> I don't have personal knowledge of what is correct, but this
> change to glideslope range impacts our ability to practice ILS
> approaches and I have a current King Air pilot complaining about
> the behavior.  Pulling out some old approach plates for KMSP here
> I see a 14nm distance and 5000' MSL entry altitude (4000'+ AGL)
> referenced in the approach to 30R.  Is 7-8 miles a realistic
> range for the glide slope?  Is my King Air pilot contact smoking
> something?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Curt.

I live beneath the turn-in point for clockwise approaches on 05 at
Stanstead Airport (EGSS) and most airliners, up to 747s and MD-11s,
are lined up on the glideslope by about 7.5 nm out from the
threshold.  The occasional AN-124s I've seen come in seem to be
already on the glideslope quite a bit further out though - I'd
estimate they're on the glideslope by the time they're about 10 nm
out (I checked the distances using Google Earth).

Iirc, when I last simulated these two types of approach at EGSS I
was between 2500-3000ft asl (over ground that's about 200ft asl) as
I turned in above my home for the more typical airliner approach,
and around 4000ft when I got on the glideslope for a straight in
approach using the AN-225 to mimic the AN-124s.

In view of what seems to happen at EGSS, I would say that the 14nm
range & 5000ft altitude seem about right.

LeeE