On 12/21/2009 08:59 PM, Curtis Olson wrote:

>> Yup, it's never been intended to be more than a simple work around for
>> people without rudder pedals or a twist grip on their joystick.  A "game
>> feature" is a good description I think.

In order to document it as a "game feature" we need some
basic information.  What do gamers actually use the
"auto-coordination" feature for?
 -- what game?
 -- what model aircraft?
 -- what benefit are they getting from this feature?

Out of the 358 aircraft available in my copy of FG, I
can think of only a handful that I would expect to have
better coordination with auto-coordination enabled.  No,
the Ercoupe is not one of them;  it has an aileron/rudder
interconnect even without this feature, and does not
benefit from the feature.

Even the Sopwith Camel, which in the Real World was
notorious for its unharmonious controls, in the Sim
World benefits only slightly from the "auto-coordination"
feature.  I doubt most gamers would notice.

Most modern aircraft come from the factory with reasonably
harmonious controls.  That is, under cruise conditions,
they fly just fine with "feet on the floor" (as opposed to
"feet on the pedals").  Such aircraft handle distinctly
worse with "auto-coordination" turned on.

As for the default c172p, "auto-coordination" might not
make it much worse ... but that's only because the model's
basic aerodynamics is so messed up.  It has an order of
magnitude too much adverse yaw at cruise.  Rather than
messing with "auto-coordination" and all the attendant
limitations and bad side-effects, it would be muuuuch
easier to use a saner set of aero coefficients ...
especially when you consider that some users have
rudder pedals, and use them, and want to use them with
more realism.  A patch to improve the c172p is available.

If we are going to document the "auto-coordination" feature,
we must document the restrictions.  The user must
 a) have no rudder-axis input devices, or
 b) unplug all rudder-axis devices, or
 c) make sure any rudder-axis devices have zero "noise", or
 d) edit the .xml driver to discard rudder events, or
 e) never use the "auto-coordination" feature

Chez moi the preferred option is (e).  The only other option
would be (d), since my joystick has an integrated rudder axis
that cannot be unplugged.  Its noise level is just low enough
that when sporadic events come in, they are surprising.

I suspect that most gamers would be pretty unhappy with
options (c) and (d).  I suspect that most people on this
list stick with option (e).

Also the user must:
 x) make sure the aileron input device has zero noise, or
 y) rely on CWS (control wheel steering) to the exclusion
  of other steering features (e.g. keyboard insert/enter), or
 z) never use the "auto-coordination" feature.

All in all, it's hard to come up with plausible use-case
scenarios for this feature.  We've heard how this feature
was intended to be used.  If anybody knows how it is actually
used, please let us know.

As I asked before, how hard would it be to implement a feature
that actually improved coordination, perhaps something that
works more like a yaw damper?  Or is it better to forget about
the whole topic, and let rudderless gamers rely on the natural
feet-on-the-floor behavior of the aircraft?

=============

I won't bother to ask why some people consider a discussion
of auto-coordination to be "hijacking" an auto-coordination
thread.  I reckon we all know the answer to that one.

============================

On 12/22/2009 03:04 AM, Alan Teeder wrote in part:

> Yaw dampers, stick pushers and other stability augmentation demands are
> added to the pilotsĀ“s joystick/rudder input, they would not normally
> override it.

Quite so.

Also, the aileron/rudder interconnect on aircraft such
as the Beech Bonanza is springy such that you can
overpower it using the obvious technique, by pushing
the yoke one way and pushing the pedals the other way.
This allows you to slip the aircraft e.g. for a crosswind
landing.

The "auto-coordination" feature does not provide a good
model of this.  Evidently it was never intended to do
so.  The pilot is out of luck if he needs to make a
crosswind landing.  This makes a certain amount of sense
from the developers' viewpoint, but from the users'
viewpoint it is all quite mysterious and unhelpful.