Diogo Kastrup wrote:
>>> On an unrelated issue, I am not sure if this is a problem with ATI cards,
>>> but I got
>>> frustrated with the frame-rate I got after the upgrade. I was getting
>>> around 30-40 fps
>>> with the old machine and now it is around 35-45 with a intel I-7 860, ATI
>>> HD4890, 4gB
>>> DDR3. Is this lower than you would expect from this machine?
>> Are both with 3d clouds and shader effects visible?
>
> Only 3D clouds were enabled on both machines, and the previous computer was
> an AMD 64
> 3000+, GF6800XT and 1Gb DDR.
>
> As flightgear doesn't make intensive use of threads, maybe the bottleneck is
> the CPU and
> a single core of the I-7 is roundly as fast as the AMD 3000+?

Turning of all shaders except 3d clouds gives me around 20 fps more.
Turning off shader support altogether gives me another 20 fps and
turning of 3d clouds yet another 20 fps. (I'm getting around 100 fps then).

Interestingly enough turning off shader support but keeping 3d clouds
enabled slows down the frame rate by around 20fps but no clouds are visible.

Erik