On 03/02/2010 01:08 AM, Tim Moore wrote:

> Furthermore, I can't parse the "suspend development" comment. It is coming
> from some alternate reality of git usage.

We are definitely talking about two different realities.

>  First off, I did identify the
> commit id where you made changes to use getline:  d5e6aa6235f7.

That's a commit to the "FG source tree".  Until that hex
number was mentioned, I thought we were talking about the
code over in the simgear tree.

> There aren't
> any more yet. You could have just told me that!

You could have asked!

If "not any more yet" is the answer, I still don't know
what the question is (or was).

> At the start of this very thread
> you sent us the commit id of a change you wished to share and have committed
> to the sources. In the specific case of getline changes to flightgear, you
> have so far only made one commit which uses getline. How hard is it to send
> us that?

It's not hard.  If you want me to send it, all you have to
do is ask.  But I'm pretty sure that's not what you want ...
and I still don't know what you do want.

I don't routinely send patches to this list, for multiple
reasons.  One reason is the fact that most list-members are
not interested in the details.  I assume anybody who wants
the details will ask ... or look at the git-logs ... or
whatever.

Another reason is the fact that at the time of the first
announcement it is quite impossible to know what further
developments will take place.  As of today I can answer a
specific question by saying "not any more yet" or some such,
but it is impossible in principle to answer such questions
in advance.

Also, when I am told "the code looks OK" followed by
suggestions for further developments, it is hard for
me to translate that into a question that could be
answered by saying "not any more yet" or into a wish
that could be granted by emailing a patch.

>  If you're saying that you might make several commits
> in implementing a change and can't identify a specific commit that contains
> it, then you need to reconsider how you're working in light of git workflow.

That's not even remotely what I'm saying.  I know how to
make git branches.  I grow a lot more branches than I
push to gitorious.  I suspect you do too.

> I'm not going to look at the global state of your repo at a
> point in time and tease out the changes related to some feature you'd like
> merged.

I understand that.  Really I do.

Now, it's your turn.  You need to understand that I cannot
continually rebase eleventeen different bits of work so that
"X" is sitting on top of the tree, on the off-chance that
somebody will want to look at "X" today ... without any way
for me to know what "X" is.

If you want cooperation, all you need to do is ask.  For
example, if you want me to put "X" into a special branch and
push it somewhere, let me know what "X" is and I'll see what
I can do.